In this article, we will know about What is Testosterone, Normal Levels in male or female, symptoms of low testosterone, the importance and effects of it on your health
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the main sex hormone produced by men and is important in the development of testicles and penis in youth, testosterone belongs to a class of male hormones called androgens, sometimes called steroids or anabolic steroids. Women also produce testosterone, but at lower levels than men.
Normal Testosterone Level in male or female
Men produce a lot more testosterone than women. A pregnant woman will have 3-4 times more testosterone than a healthy, non-pregnant woman.
Testosterone levels are usually highest during adolescence and early adulthood. After the age of 30, most of the men gradually decrease at the rate of about 1 percent per year.
Male: 300 to 1,000 nanograms per deciliter (ng / dL) or 10.41 to 34.70 nanomoles per liter (nmol / L)
Female: 15 to 70 ng / dL or 0.52 to 2.43 nmol / L
What are the Effects on it on your Health?
Testosterone is involved in the development of male sex organs before birth, and the development of secondary sexual characteristics in puberty, such as voice deepening, increased penis and test size, and growth of facial and body hair.
What are the low Testosterone Symptoms in a male or a female?
Testosterone levels naturally decrease with age. Testosterone levels can also be high during the day and levels are low in the evening.
A man with low testosterone levels can cause —
- Low Libido, Low Erections, And Infertility
- Changes in sleep patterns and poor sleep
- Physical changes such as:
- Increase in body fat
- Reduced muscle expansion and strength
- Decreased bone density
- Swollen or tender breasts
- Body hair loss and low energy levels
- Emotional changes, such as:
- Loss of motivation or confidence
- Mood swings
- Difficulty keeping things in mind or remembering
Women with low testosterone levels can cause —
- Tiredness and lack of motivation
- Loss of libido
What are the high Testosterone Symptoms in a male or a female?
High testosterone levels can cause problems in a male or a female–
- Deep voice,
- Extra hair on face and body,
- Increased muscle mass,
- Irregular period (in female),
- Clitoris more than usual (in female),
- Prostate swelling
- Loss of libido,
- mood changes,
- A decrease in sperm count.
- Increase in red blood cells.
- Breast size reduction or enlargement than normal (in female),
- Hair loss.
Importance of Testosterone Hormone
Testosterone is a sex hormone that plays an important role in the body. In men, it regulates sex drive (Libido), bone mass, fat distribution, muscle mass, strength, production of red blood cells and sperm. In women, testosterone is mainly converted to estrogen.